Enhancing Investment Attractiveness through ESG Ratings: A Sustainable Development Perspective in the Banking, Electric Utilities and IPP Industries
Keywords:ESG-rating, ROI, EPS, Banking sector, Electric Utilities & IPPs
Objective: Main goal of the research is toto assess the level of influence of the ESG rating on the investment attractiveness of companies. The object of the study is the companies for which the ESG rating is calculated (the oil and gas, metallurgical, electric power and banking industries are observed). The hypothesis is that the management dealing with issues related to ESG should take into account the significance of the impact of the ESG rating on the investment attractiveness of companies, if the significance is proven.
Method: The methodological part of this research is formed by an econometric estimation of regressions based on panel data models.
Results: There were performed econometric assessment of the impact of the ESG rating on the investment attractiveness of companies. The results of econometric modeling are presented in the list of recommendations for ESG managers. In addition, results of the research proves the significance of COVID-19 pandemic impact on the investment attractiveness of the oil and gas companies.
Conclusion: The novelty of the results is in the individual econometric estimation of companies’ ESG-rating impact on the investment attractiveness based on the unique set of companies, which present four different industries. Based on the sample of companies from eleven countries, for which ESG scores for the period from 2016 to 2020 were calculated, the statistical significance of ESG-factors, concerning the analysis of its impact on the indicators of investment attractiveness (ROI, EPS), was identified.
Apergis, N., Poufinas, T., & Antonopoulos, A. (2022). ESG scores and cost of debt. Energy Economics, 112, 106186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2022.106186
Bajic, S., & Burcin Yurtoglu, B. (2016). CSR, market value, and profitability: International evidence. SSRN Electronic Journal. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2848099
Cheema-Fox, A., LaPerla, B. R., Serafeim, G., Turkington, D. & Wang, H. (2021). Decarbonization factors. The Journal of Impact and ESG Investing, 2(1), 47-73. https://doi.org/10.3905/jesg.2021.1.026
Damodaran Online. (2022). https://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/ (accessed on December 12, 2022).
Demmers, E., Hendrikse, J., Joos, P. & Lev, B. (2021). ESG did not immunize stocks during the COVID-19 crisis, but investments in intangible assets did. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 48(3-4), 433-462. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jbfa.12523
Dorfleitner, G., Halbritter, G., & Nguyen, M. (2015). Measuring the level and risk of corporate responsibility - An empirical comparison of different ESG rating approaches. Journal of Asset Management, 16(7), 450-466. https://doi.org/10.1057/jam.2015.31
Fatemi, A., Fooladi, I., & Tehranian, H. (2015). Valuation effects of corporate social responsibility. Journal of Banking & Finance, 59, 182-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2015.04.028
Fender, R., Stammers, R, Urwin, R., & Preece, R. G. (2020, November 10). The operating model to enable sustainable investing. СFA Institute. https://www.cfainstitute.org/en/research/industry-research/esg-operating-model (accessed on January 18, 2023).
Gregory, R. P. (2022). ESG activities and firm cash flow. Global Finance Journal, 52, 100698. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfj.2021.100698
Hale, J. (2020, April 3). Sustainable funds weather the first quarter better than conventional funds. Morningstar. https://www.morningstar.com/articles/976361/sustainable-funds-weather-the-firstquarter-better-than-conventional-funds (accessed on January 18, 2023).
Horvathova, E. (2010). Does environmental performance affect financial performance? A meta-analysis. Ecological Economics, 70(1), 52-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2010.04.004
In, S. Y., Park, K. Y., & Monk, A. (2019). Is “being green” rewarded in the market?: An empirical investigation of decarbonization and stock returns. Stanford Global Project Center Working Paper. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3020304
Jacobs, B. W., Singhal, V. R., & Subramanian, R. (2010). An empirical investigation of environmental performance and the market value of the firm. Journal of Operations Management, 28(5), 430-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2010.01.001
Leong, C. K., & Yang, Y. C. (2020). Market competition and firms' social performance. Economic Modelling, 91, 601-612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2019.12.002
Liu, B., Ju, T., & Gao, S. (2021). The combined effects of innovation and corporate social responsibility on firm financial risk. Journal of International Financial Management & Accounting, 32(3), 283-310. https://doi.org/10.1111/jifm.12135
Luca Ribeiro, T. de, & Antônio de Lima, A. (2023). ENVIRONMENTAL, SOCIAL AND GOVERNANCE (ESG): A BIBLIOMETRIC REVIEW STUDY. ESG Law Review, 6(1), e01571. https://doi.org/10.37497/esg.v6i1.1571
Macrotrends. (n.d.). Macrotrends - The premier research platform for long term investors. https://www.macrotrends.net/
Martins, H. C. (2022). Competition and ESG practices in emerging markets: Evidence from a difference-in-differences model. Finance Research Letters, 46(Part A), 102371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2021.102371
Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI). (2022). Statement on ESG in credit risk and ratings. https://www.unpri.org/credit-risk-and-ratings/statement-on-esg-in-credit-risk-and-ratings-available-in-different-languages/77.article (accessed on December 15, 2022).
S&P Global. (2022). ESG in credit ratings. https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research-insights/special-reports/esg-in-credit-ratings (accessed on December 15, 2022).
Whelan, T., Atz, U., Van Holt, T., & Clark, C. (2021). ESG and financial performance: Uncovering the relationship by aggregating evidence from 1,000 plus studies published between 2015-2020. NYU STERN Center for sustainable business; Rockefeller Asset Management. https://www.stern.nyu.edu/sites/default/files/assets/documents/NYU-RAM_ESG-Paper_2021%20Rev_0.pdf (accessed on November 20, 2022).
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Dmitrii Kachalov
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors who publish in this journal agree to the following terms: the author(s) authorize(s) the publication of the text in the journal;
2. The author(s) ensure(s) that the contribution is original and unpublished and that it is not in the process of evaluation by another journal;
3. The journal is not responsible for the views, ideas and concepts presented in articles, and these are the sole responsibility of the author(s);
4. The publishers reserve the right to make textual adjustments and adapt texts to meet with publication standards.
5. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal the right to first publication, with the work simultaneously licensed under the Creative Commons Atribuição NãoComercial 4.0 internacional, which allows the work to be shared with recognized authorship and initial publication in this journal.
6. Authors are allowed to assume additional contracts separately, for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in this journal (e.g. publish in institutional repository or as a book chapter), with recognition of authorship and initial publication in this journal.
7. Authors are allowed and are encouraged to publish and distribute their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on a personal web page) at any point before or during the editorial process, as this can generate positive effects, as well as increase the impact and citations of the published work (see the effect of Free Access) at http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html
• 8. Authors are able to use ORCID is a system of identification for authors. An ORCID identifier is unique to an individual and acts as a persistent digital identifier to ensure that authors (particularly those with relatively common names) can be distinguished and their work properly attributed.